Summer is almost here, the weather is getting warmer, and the days are getting longer. I am sure you notice a shift in the mindset of people you interact with. Everyone seems happier, has more energy, and a jump in their step.
This is the perfect time of year to take advantage of this energy shift and get back on track with New Year’s resolutions like eating better, exercising more, sleeping more, or starting a new routine to improve our lives in some way – if you’ve gotten off track, it’s ok, no one is perfect and we are all a work-in-progress. If exercise and more activity was one of your resolutions, use this time as an opportunity to start thinking about outdoor activities you can do with the family. It is a great way to include exercise/movement into the family’s schedule while creating some fun, quality family time.
Here is a list of fun activities you can plan for the family:
- Visit the local playground and play on the swings or the monkey bars. That means you too, not just the kids. You will be surprised how much fun you can have when you play like a kid.
- Take a family bike ride. You can even play a game while on the ride like everyone picking a color to see who can find the most cars with their color.
- Hit the backyard for some soccer time. Just kicking the ball to each other can be fun or take turns playing goalie to see who can stop the most shots.
- My children and I love the beach, a walk along the beach is a great way to breathe in some fresh air and feel the energy of the water. You can also collect shells to bring back home; and if you’re lucky you may catch a great sunset picture.
- Plant a garden. It’s a nice way to honor nature and it’s fun when you visit the garden to see how everything is growing. Children are amazed at how a seed can develop into a vegetable or beautiful plant. They will take pride in their hard work, too.
- Once a week, create car wash time. We all know how dirty the car can get inside and out from all the chauffeuring we do each week. Kids like to play with the soap bubbles and someone might even get wet from the hose!
- I am fortunate to live in an area where there are local hiking trails to walk on. Hiking is a great opportunity to get some walking in as a family and enjoy nature. And, don’t worry, if you don’t live near trails, a nice family walk in your neighborhood after dinner can be just as fun. We always try to notice the beauty of the trees or plants in the neighborhood, which we miss when we are focused on getting home or leaving to a family activity.
- If you have a dog, get out and have family time with your pet. Try a Frisbee catch or a fetch with a ball — pets need exercise too!
These are some fun ideas to create quality family time while also providing exercise activities for the whole family. Kids won’t look at it as exercise. Instead, they will see it as fun. I suggest you add these ideas to your own list of family activities. Include the kids in thinking of fun ideas so everyone is involved.
Wishing a Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there.