Family comes first. That's what we all hear and those are the words we all try to live by. However, sometimes we all deserve a little ME time so that we are refreshed and levelheaded enough to give our best selves to our families. Life is busy and messy and we can easily burn out if we're not careful. Below, find a list of our favorite (local) getaways, essentials reminders for our personal wellbeing and, if all else fails, the recipe for a perfect end of the night cocktail.
1. "I'm in it for the endorphin rush." One of the best ways to clear your head and elevate your mood is through exercise. This could be as simple as a walk around the neighborhood to an hour at the gym or even an impromptu dance party after the kids are asleep (thanks to a pair of headphones). Whatever gets your blood going.
2. Get caught up in someone else's life. At your wit's end? If your kids are old enough, pop a DVD in, turn on the baby monitor in the TV room and lock yourself in the bathroom (with the other monitor to keep an ear on the activity) and finish up that last chapter of the book you've been dying to read.
3. Massage a la tennis balls. Don't have time or the funds for a luxury day at the spa? Instead, buy a can of tennis balls, and, in an open space (like the living room floor) set the balls down and lay on top of them (making sure all of the balls end up directly under your back). Take a few minutes or more to roll around with the balls kneading at your back. Dim the lights, put on some soothing music, and light a candle, and you have an instant spa.
4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. We all need a night out and, a girl's night out is the perfect excuse. Dress up and head out for a night on the town with your closest girl or guy friends. Or, better yet, have a night in. Let the Dads take the kids to a movie and invite the moms over for an early pajama party or a poker night. A vacation away from the kids without leaving the comforts of your home? Priceless!
5. An Apple a Day… Let's get serious for a second. Our families mean the world to us, but where would be we if we didn't take care of ourselves? There is never enough time in a day, but there is enough time in a year to make sure you schedule an annual physical, gynecologist appointment, dental appointment, and mammography. There is no excuse. To remember when you last had an appointment, try to schedule it around your birthday or mother's/father's day. These milestone dates act as a great reminder and ensure you won't forget next year!
6. Date Night. Even the President and First Lady of the United States have date night. It can be anywhere from a trip to a restaurant or movie to a romantic night in a hotel. Make sure you take the time to connect with your partner and check in with each other on a personal level. It keeps you both grounded and allows you to be better partners and parents.
7. "Flirt" over a drink. It's been a long day. All you want to do is relax on the couch. But, why not make it a little special with a Flirtini? We had this drink at a restaurant in NYC, where it was created for celebrity mom, Sarah Jessica Parker. We can't help but wonder if she was out on a date night of her own when she had it. You can also make a pitcher of these to accessorize with your next Girl's Night In.
1 fluid ounce raspberry vodka
1/2 fluid ounce Cointreau liqueur
1/2 fluid ounce pineapple juice
1/2 fluid ounce cranberry juice
1 dash fresh lime juice
Champagne to top it off
- Muddle the raspberries in the bottom of a martini glass.
- Combine the raspberry vodka, cointreau, pineapple juice, cranberry juice and lime juice in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into glass.
- Top with champagne.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.